Monday, April 9, 2012

Not so "Sunny" Easter Sunday

As you all know yesterday was Easter Sunday...

I would have posted ON Sunday but I was too busy being the dark cloud at the party with the distant relatives. Well... I only looked dark, but I didn't rain on anyone, ironically enough I am a very upbeat, outgoing and social person. But despite that the esthetic appeal of goth has always intrigued me and my interests continue to become more and more dark in nature to complement my dark and sometime "naughty" humor.

But back to that party I was talking about. Presently I live with my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins. My Aunt is related to me by marriage and so their family in Indiana lives close by and they have a celebration for almost every holiday.... well the ones most Americans celebrate anyways, including Easter. Now my uncle and I are not Christian so we don't celebrate Easter. But he is obligated to go since he's married to my Aunt. I however am not married to her and are not obligated to do anything.

At first I was going to stay behind and enjoy the peace and quiet that loneliness brings but in the end I changed my mind and decided to tag along as a chance to try a low level goth look on the in-laws' side of the family, to see what would happen. Some of them had remembered me from the New Years Eve party where I appeared like a "normal" young adult without daddy never loved me issues. (Note the sarcasm in that last sentence...) It was a very simple experiment that required very little supplies.

Simply eye liner with clear lip gloss

I wasn't in very creative mood so nothing exciting going for the eyes. Just some graphite shade eye liner.... wow now that I think of it, this was an EXTREME low level goth getup... I wasn't even wearing black eyeliner...

My hair was back in a neat bun. *Scary*

I don't have anything that is most definitely goth on its own and I have very few black clothes to help the look get across but I think I did a pretty good job. This would have looked even better with my long black skirt with the slit up the leg but I decided to go with blue jeans to tone the look down.

Baby nails, nothing impressive yet....


Surprisingly enough nobody seemed to be directly avoiding me I was one of the few black people there which made me stand out, and then on top of that I was the only person wearing so much black on such a hot day. They didn't even seem to notice my claws where pointed. It might be to far for me to assume people would be afraid of me while wearing so little goth attire, but my claws should have inspired at least ONE inquiry as to whether or not I was a werewolf.

I was actually in a good mood, can't you tell?




But a las....

There was not. And my upbeat nature led me to talk, socialize and have a great time like I normally do at parties. And I suspected nothing. And so I deem the experiment a failure because I think many factors were not set up in order to prove my hypothesis correct. I wasn't looking for criticism or ignorance but I expected it and it was no where to be found. I am almost sure that I will be proven right when I go to college in August but maybe I should be looking on the bright side by being optimistic and expect most people I meet to be accepting of my darkness. That's not my style, I normally am the first to spot or expect the worst in people and in myself but maybe I'm not entirely right. But I am interested in hearing the opinions of others.

Was I not dressed "goth enough"? Was my attitude contradicting my appearance so much that it prevented negative receptions to the way I looked? (Is it the same for other goths who are shy or tend to not talk at parties?) Or was it because I was among mostly so called "family members" instead of total strangers.



2 comments:

  1. I think you should not expect the worse in others. I admit your look was toned down but clothes and makeup aren't everything. Sometimes the way one carries themselves can prove to be just as "gothy". Even so, you probably shouldn't dress to get a response but since this was for science I can understand. Sounds like you have a nice extended family because they did not seem phased by your look and you were able to enjoy the party with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good point, while I understand that I deserve to be put in the corner for expecting the worse in others, I just want to say that it has become a habit, and its more of a general assumption of human beings not of the individuals I meet on a daily basis.... individuals can be awesome. I hope that makes sense. Also, I'm glad you understand this was for science and therefore is excused (smile). However I normally wear what I like because I like it, not because I'm trying to get a re-action from people. And it is true that they do seem like nice people, and despite my sarcasm, I wasn't truly expecting a dramatic reaction since i was so toned down. But then again, I wasn't trying that hard either.

    ReplyDelete